Content » Vol 23, Issue 2

Vocational rehabilitation in northern Sweden. I. A socio-demographic description

Eklund M, Fugl-Meyer AR
Department of Physical Medicine, University of Umeå, Sweden
DOI: 10.2340/1650197791236172


Some socio-demographic variables were registered by structured interview in a consecutive series (n = 149) of subjects referred for vocational rehabilitation with a diagnosis of somatic disease. Two years later the subjects were re-interviewed about current occupational and financial status. Initially 43% received sickness allowance and 18% unemployment compensation, the remaining 39% were vocationally active. Almost 19% needed only technical aids to be able to return to/remain in work; an intervention which was used significantly more often for the--relatively older--self-employed than for the rest of the sample. Two years later 80% of those who were vocationally active at the time of referral were still at work, the remaining 20% were undergoing training (11%) or were vocationally inactive (9%). Among those who were receiving sickness benefit/unemployment compensation at referral, 44% were at work and 20% were receiving education. Return to work after vocational inactivity was financially beneficial. It is concluded that vocational rehabilitation in Umeå had a fair rate of success. This may be due to the low rate of handicaps.

Lay Abstract


Do you want to comment on this paper? The comments will show up here and if appropriate the comments will also separately be forwarded to the authors. You need to login/create an account to comment on articles. Click here to login/create an account.